Skip to Main Content

Little Common & Bexhill Players: Our History

the little common and bexhill players rehearse

Little Common Drama Group was formed in September 1945. Their first production "The Grand Cham's Diamond" was performed at St. Mark's Institute. They continued to perform there until April 1958 when "The Snow Queen" was the first performance at the newly built Community Centre Hall. It was John Benjamin Sainsbury whose generosity and inspiration was behind the building of the centre for the community of Little Common.

On 31st August 1965 Little Common Drama Group merged with Bexhill Players and became Little Common and Bexhill Players. The group performed a mixture of plays, variety shows and pantomimes. Revues and murder mysteries have now been added to the repertoire.

The Youth Drama Group put on their own productions from 1945 until 1983 after which, having no one to run the group, it ceased. They won first prize at the Youth Drama Festival in 1963.

The adult group have entered the Hastings Music Festival (with some success), ABC Festival and Sussex Drama Festival. They have also performed at the De La Warr Pavilion and the Royal Hippodrome Theatre in Eastbourne.

the little common and bexhill players rehearse

The Players have always given freely of their time for local charitable causes, currently the Thursday evening performance is offered to local charities for fund raising.

Little Common & Bexhill Players: Our Venue

The Shepherd's Theatre, where the group now perform, was officially opened on 31st July 1968 by the Mayor, Councillor E.T. Johnson. The theatre was the brainchild of Clifford Gulliver, who was connected to the London Palladium, and includes dressing rooms, storage facilities and a fly tower.